Monday, November 12, 2012

Southern Italy

As part of my last lectures/tours trips with school, the smick's and I spent this past week in Southern Italy. We visites Pompeii, Napoli (where we stayed at the Hotel Prati), the Almafi Coast, Paestum (and Cuma!), and my favorite, Capri.

As many of you already know, Pompeii is the underground city the was covered by volcanic ash from the famous Mount Vesuvius. We spent the whole day walking around the the city of Pompeii, exploring what it was like back then. We saw many different houses, businesses, amphitheaters and the forum. It was very interesting to see all of this since I had learned so much about it growing up in school. We also got to see the Volcano, Mount Vesuvius! It didn't look like the Vesuvius in my room aka my exploding credenza! All in all, my friends and I had a great and exhausting day!

The next day, we took a 5 hour drive down the Almafi Coast. It was SO beautiful! Almafi is where limoncello is made and was originated. It was such a cute little town! we spent the second half of our day in Paestum, where we visited a mueseum and many ancient excavations and monuments.

Day 3 consisted of visiting the Mueseum of Agriculture. It was HUGE! Fun fact: there are over 1,000 people on the janitorial staff there. It's funny how after listening to lectures about art for 5 hours, that was the only fact I remembered. We later went to Cuma. Cuma is a cave that was once believed to be the enterence to the underworld. It was very cool to go inside of a cave. I had never been in one so I can cross that off my list.

On the 4th day, we had a free afternoon on the coast of Napoli. My friends and I had a nice relaxing lunch, had a photoshoot near the water, and shopped around. It was so nice to do things at our own pace! The last couple days had been super exhausting so we really enjoyed the free time.

Napoli, Italia
On our last day in Southern Italy, we visited one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to, Capri. The town was so quaint and the sights were just gorgeous! We started off our day in Capri is an optional boat ride around the island. We saw all of the gratto's, including the famous and beautiful Blue Gratto! We got into little sail boats right in the middle of the choppy Med Sea (talk about scary!) and sailed into the blue gratto! The water was so gorgeous! It truly was one of the coolest things I have ever done! We spent the rest of the day shopping around and having lunch! I ejoyed one of my favorites, spaghetti with clams! It was to die for!

Capri, Italia
The Blue Gratto in the Med Sea in Capri, Italia
All in all, our trip to Southern Italy was a success! We had a great time, learned a lot, and made many long lasting memories! Stay tuned for my post next week! The Bucci Babe's are packing their bags and hitting up the eternal city! I can't wait! Ciao!

1 comment: