Monday, October 1, 2012

Goodbye Home-a, Ciao Roma!

Ciao! Sorry it has been so long since I have updated my travel blog, wifi is scarce on this side of the earth! I will try my hardest to keep things up to date!

Well, my trip started off with some painful goodbyes. It was so hard to leave my mom, my sisters, Kayla and Kamryn, my aunt B, and my boyfriend Ryan at the airport. The tears were in heavy flow that day, and continued occasionally the first couple days. Each day that I am here in the beautiful country gets a little bit easier, but that doesn't mean I will miss them (along with many others!) any less.


After saying goodbye at O'Hare airport, my good friend Maddie and a new friend Stephanie headed to Newark, New Jersey to pick up my good friend and former roommate, Kendra. It was great to reunite with my friends after a LONG summer, but the four hour wait in the airport was definitely long and tiring, making my emotions quite dramatic!

Our nine hour flight landed in Fiumicino airport in Rome on Wednesday, September 27 at 7:30am. After gathering out belongings, we made our way to the area where we were to meet our RA and the Rome program administrator. We ended up waiting until 3PM to leave the airport because of a flight delay in Chicago. Thank god I wasn't on that flight.

After finally being able to leave the airport, We boarded a coach bus and headed out to Assisi, Umbria. Assisi is a small, mid evil town in the mountains. This trip toned up my legs so much! I had never done so much uphill walking in my life, and my legs still hurt to this day! Assisi is also the city in which Saint Francis and Saint Claire are from. When we arrived, we had a quick dinner and went to bed. We were all exhausted and had to wake up super early for tours in the morning. I will get into more detail about my tours soon!


Considering Assisi is such a small town, we ran out of things to do fast! We would usually shop around the stores, or sit in the Piazza at a cafe, drinking prosecco, sweet red wine, cafe freddo (iced coffee), or eating gelato. Never have I ever had so many great tasting meals, desserts and drinks...and it was only the beginning.

On Sunday, September 30, we finally arrived in Rome! We are staying at a beautiful hotel right in the heart of the city. We are only a 5 minute walk away from the Pantheon, which we enjoyed over margharita pizza and champaign on our first night there.

The next day I started my classes. This semester I am taking communications, philosophy, intermediate Italian, business, and history. My classes end early every day, giving my lots of time to explore the eternal city!

Well, I am done for now, but will be updating my blog tomorrow in further detail about my trip to Assisi, my room, my friends, the food, and much, much more! Ciao, love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment