Thursday, December 20, 2012

St. Peter's Scavi Tour

On Thursday December 6, I was lucky enough to attend a tour of the archeological excavations below St. Peter's Basilica. This was probably one of the high lights of my trip and by far one of the coolest, most spiritual experiences I have ever had. Throughout my tour, I was able to see ancient tombs built near the Vatican necropolis. I was able to look into St. Peter's tomb, which consisted his jaw bone which ate the last supper with Christ. It was an amazing experience as a Catholic seeking to learn and live in her faith.

After completing the Scavi tour, my friends and I were able to walk through St. Peter's Basilica, and later climb up to the very top of the dome that looks out into la citta di Roma. It was so beautiful and so worth the 550 stairs I had to climb!
St. Peter's Basilica
 
St. Peter's Basilica from above

View of St. Peter's Square and Roma from the top of the dome of St. Peter's Basilica.
St. Peter's Square
 After our endeavors at St. Peter's, we walked across the street and had gelatto at Old Bridge, which is claimed to be some of the best gelatto in Roma. It was definitely delicious! Overall, I had an amazing day filled with so many great once-in-a-lifetime experiences! I am SO blessed!

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Keep it up! I will be looking forward to visit your page again and for your other posts as well. Thank you for sharing your thoughts about tours in rome italy. I'm glad to stop by your site and know more about tours in rome italy. This is a good read.
    Beginning with the Council of Trent in 1545, the Church began the Counter-Reformation as an answer to the Reformation, a large-scale questioning of the Church's authority on spiritual matters and governmental affairs. (This loss of confidence then lead to major shifts of power away from the Church.) Under the popes from Pius IV to Sixtus V, Rome became the centre of the reformed Catholicism and saw the installment of new monuments which celebrated the papacy's restored greatness. The popes and cardinals of the 17th and early 18th centuries continued the movement by having city's landscape enriched with baroque buildings. During the Age of Enlightenment, new ideas reached also the Eternal City, where the papacy supported archeological studies and improved the people's welfare. But not everything went well for the Church during the Counter-Reformation.
    Above and below ground - discover Rome with our Walking Tours.

    ReplyDelete